Warning: Do you think your child may be Dyslexic?


Three years ago today our world changed so much here at the Reynolds Nation. On that day we found out officially by the psychologist that Judah was dyslexic. I had been concerned for about 9 months that he was...I had heard on Good Morning one day what are some of the signs of dyslexia. Though I always watched my kids for dyslexia, Judah just didn't have the classic signs... like
the turning of the letters B, D and P.  Everyone always looks for that, but Judah didn't do that. But he was behind in his reading. And wasn't progressing in a rate that was okay. So, we had him tested. And it was confirmed. And on that day I started an intense search to find what help we could find for Judah. Several people pointed us to the Barton Reading and Spelling program...and that's the avenue we took. I took the training program and I tutored Judah...he went from a reading level of a kindergartner/first grader to a sixth grader when we were finished with the program. And then I started tutoring other kids...and I have been tutoring ever since. It brings me joy and a feeling of accomplishment. And when I see their faces when they can read, it is the most amazing moment.

First, the definition of dyslexia:

Dyslexia is an inherited condition that makes it extremely difficult to read, write, and spell in your native language—despite at least average intelligence.

I am listing a few red flags for you to look for to see if possibly your child may need to be evaluated.

~ Problems Rhyming

~Struggle with the basic rules of phonics

~Won't recognize one word on a page that they read on the former page

~Writes backwards

~Switches P, B, and D

~Slow, labored reading

~Add or delete letters in words

~Tired, even after a short time of reading

~Misreads, deletes or adds words such as a, from, to

~Can memorize words, but won't remember them days later

~Spelling is horrible

There are many other symptoms...these are the most common.
In the even that your child has some of these symptoms and aren't progressing in reading, contact your pediatrician. Your Pediatrician will refer you to a psychologist who can test your child to see if they are dyslexic. And then you will want to find an Orton-Gillingham style tutor who can help your child. Don't rely on the public schools, because most are not equipped to give your child the individual attention they need.

 If you have any questions, leave me a comment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulling Myself Out of the Deepest, Darkest Depression...My Story

2020...What does that look like to you? I am ready to BLOOM!