How has our culture touched our homes?

I was in my quiet time this morning (at least I am quiet, with a dull roar around me, lol), and I was faced with this question in my notes from a few weeks ago. How much has our culture touched our lives? And is it the world's culture or Gods? How many things do we do are from what we have learned over the course of our lives and how many are from the Lord? How much "culture" are we allowing into our lives? And how is it getting into our homes? I was reading the first chapter of Daniel where the king was teaching the children of Israel the language and literature of the Chaldeans...they were taught this culture for three years to be ready to serve the king. Daniel "purposed in his heart" not to receive any of the kings delicacies. What in our world would be considered the "kings delicacies?" I am sure to each of us it may be different. Also in 2 Kings 17, we read about the children of Israel being captured and brought into the land of Assyria...where they became captive and sinned against the Lord. How do we become captive? I believe it is by walking in the customs of this world. We fear other gods...and what gods would these be? How about finances, sickness, loss, failure...you put in your own here. So are we walking in the customs or culture of this world? Obviously this is a personal question and can only be asked by ourselves to the Lord. I am asking myself this same question. How much television or media do I let in my home? Do I discern what is coming in? How many outside influences are influencing my children? How much news can make us fear for our jobs, finances, homes and our future? As believers, we walk with in the same authority as Jesus. He said that we would do greater here? Have we? Sometimes we are so webbed into our world, that we can't see this or even touch upon this. So my thoughts for today, are to examine ourselves and see where we have allowed our culture to leak into our lives and how we can recapture the Lord's culture for our families!

Comments

Anonymous said…
My thoughts exactly! Blow up the tv
Michelle said…
Resolve. I think that's the term I read about Daniel, he had resolve. I just finished a study on that book and it spawned many great conversations around here.

Daniel lived among the craziness, the Babylonian culture- he saw, he heard, he was tempted- but he had resolved to live differently. He used his brain, he made a choice. He sought God and lved different.

I ask my boys often what they've resolved to do and not do, I tell them many times they are not called to lives of mediocricy, but to lives of excellence in Christ. I also share with them my own resolve and lack of. I believe parents are the main influence in their children's lives, what we do and watch and say and how we treat ppl can be, and I beleive is, far more of a Babylon than the television.
Working with youth I've been challenged on how do we live relevant in this world and yet not of it... could go on and on about this one
Nice post-

Popular posts from this blog

Pulling Myself Out of the Deepest, Darkest Depression...My Story

2020...What does that look like to you? I am ready to BLOOM!

Warning: Do you think your child may be Dyslexic?