Fall Cooking...

We were able to get a bushel of apples this year, for a cheap price...a mixture of different apples. So we got busy with our coring, slicing and peeling. Here is a snapshot of the last bit of apples that we had left. I sliced and froze enough apples to eat all week, for my pies for Thanksgiving and then about 20 cups of applesauce. Here is Judah eating up the sample of warm applesauce. The kids loved eating it right out of the pot and then I froze the rest for the months to come.
Then on to our pumpkins! I only bought six small cooking pumpkins. They sat on my counter for the past week or so, but they stayed in the cool house so they were ready when I sliced them up.

Here are the boiled pumpkins. Didn't take too long, and I was able to school the kids as they cooked on the stove. The hard part was letting them cool and making the kids wait.



Here is William (couldn't get a better shot of his face because the sun coming in the window) spooning my pumpkin into the measuring cup. My six pumpkins made 12 cups of pumpkin puree for my freezer. The kids had a blast with the hand mixer, and then they munched on the roasted pumpkin seeds.


What a fun time. Next year we will have a second freezer so we can freeze more. I want to buy at least 2-3 bushels of apples and triple the pumpkins I got this year. The best part is that the chickens and the goats got all of the leftovers, so there wasn't anything left when we were done. It is fun to make things ourselves, and of course so much healthier. When Matt ate my applesauce, he thought I had added a ton of sugar but actually it had nothing in it but cinnamon...the apple were so sweet. So, enjoy this beautiful weather and take advantage of the season and all it's bounty!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulling Myself Out of the Deepest, Darkest Depression...My Story

2020...What does that look like to you? I am ready to BLOOM!

Warning: Do you think your child may be Dyslexic?